Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Monday, October 05, 2009

So annoying!

Ok, so I’m going to use today’s blog as my soap box.



I’m not going to get into any specifics, even though none of you who read this would know the people who did this, but my griping today is about a wedding registry and it being grossly abused.

Today, I went to this couple’s (who shall remain nameless) wedding registry to pick out a reasonably priced gift only to find that the couple had registered for everything short of a sports car! I kid you not when they had a Dell computer, large flat screen monitor, Sony Theater Speaker system, a Garmin, a handheld video camera, and a 52 inch Plasma! Are you serious!?

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m the first to admit that I registered for things I truly didn’t need, i.e. a waffle maker, omelet maker, etc. In fact, I think Chaz registered for some golf balls just to see if anyone would get them for him. This registry was ridiculous and honestly made me kinda mad and not want to get them anything period.

I’m not knocking registries AT ALL because I think they are wonderful tools to help young, struggling, couples make the transition into married life much easier. I know it helped Chaz and I out tremendously. I also think it’s exciting to put a big ticket item on the registry just for fun. But to put all of those things on your registry tells me you really just want me to fulfill your Christmas list and not the things you truly need.

Am I being too sensitive here? Have I become old and crotchety? Ha! Anybody else experience this?

Oh and one more thing. When you get married and receive a gift from someone, you take out a pen and a piece of paper and write a note of thanks. Period. There is absolutely no excuse not to write one. I would say about 20% of the time, I receive a thank you note for a wedding gift. Is this normal now??? Anyone else find this trend disheartening?

Ok, stepping off the soap box today... :)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more!!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Very well said!!! I once got a thank you card written by a FRIEND of the bride to help get through the process faster. REALLY???

John, Emily, Noah, and Luke Wohlgemuth said...

I am big on thank you notes. I am also big on both of us signing them. John wrote to all the people in his family and hometown and I wrote to all of my family. We both signed EVERY card. I think that is important.

Bonniebeewester said...

Kelsey, you have got to be kidding me!? Now THAT is a new low!!I would rather not receive a note at all if someone else wrote it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets her feathers ruffled over this seemingly small thing :)

Allison said...

you wanna hear something else that will blow your mind?! some parents register at toys r us for their child, so that the kids coming to the party can shop from their wish list! how ridiculous is that!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree. A registry is not made to register for things you really don't need. A friend of my husband's had a ridiculous registry. The absolute cheapest thing on their list? $50 bath towels. (Like...50 for ONE.) Crazy. I'd have a hard time buying them anything either! :)

Bonniebeewester said...

Al-no stinking way!? Is that normal for parents to do that these days?! I am in shock!

And Ashley, been there, seen that registry before. I believe that was the one I didn't receive a thank you note for!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Kristen said...

AGREED!!!!

Erynn said...

Yep- out of control and NOT okay. And yes, hand written thank you notes are a must.-i guess we're all crotchity old women

Leslie said...

Amen! Wow, I am a parent but would never register my child at Toys R Us. Seriously? In fact we asked people not to bring gifts at all to her birthday this year because Haven already has to much stinkin' stuff from grandparents.

I am actually sitting down to write Thank you notes today for my recent baby shower. Glad its still appreciated. My grandmother would have my hide if I didn't send out a Thank you note....written by ME....in my handwriting. Amazing.