I stopped to watch it because they mentioned Oklahoma City as being one of the worst cities to live in because of the lack of sidewalks. So true!!!

I remember when I moved here thinking to myself “where are all of the sidewalks!?” As a kid growing up in Texas, I burned up the path walking to and from my friends houses on them. When I see kids in our neighborhood, they always have to walk in the road to get from one place to another. It’s really odd, if you think about it. (And dangerous!)
If you are a pedestrian in OKC, you’re out of luck and have to fend for yourself. When I go on my runs, I have to stay in the middle of the street in order to dodge cars. Half of my run is spent looking over my shoulder for cars. It’s ridiculous.
There is an adorable park just a few blocks away from my house that I’ve always wanted to take the dogs to but can’t. It’s too dangerous because there are no sidewalks to get to the park! I would have to walk through people’s yards on a busy road to get to it so we never go.
I can understand in an older neighborhood such as mine that there aren’t any sidewalks. But even our brand spanking new ones don’t have them! And if that isn’t alarming enough, they don’t have back yards either!!! They might be built on top of each other and have a patch of grass for a back yard, but don’t you worry. It comes fully equipped with an enormous media room! Is this a sign of the times? Do kids not like to get outside and play anymore? Young families, after all, are who these builders are catering to.
I think I just got on a soap-box and didn’t realize it. I’m just embarrassed that our city is at the top of the most unflattering list that ever existed. It all boils down to personal responsibility in the end. The city and the builders are just catering to what the consumer wants. And apparently, the consumer is “fat and happy” with not having sidewalks. Pun intended. :)
One more soap-box thought for ya: how many people know what’s in Michael Jackson’s will and not what’s in the Cap and Trade Bill (the largest tax-hike in American History) that just went through Congress? Pretty scary thought if you ask me…
Ok, I’m stepping off the soap-box now… :) I'll leave on a lighter note. I thought this joke was funny and appropriate for this post:
3 comments:
Wow. I think we think a lot alike:)
I totally agree with the house/yard ratio. It's INSANE how society places such importance on the size and number of extra rooms in one's house. INSANE.
I also COMPLETELY appreciate your question about MJ vs. Cap & Trade Bill! I would venture to say the general population has NO idea what the C & T bill is even about...nor do they care. Sad. I'm glad you talk about these things on your blog:)
no sidewalks??? scary!! but houston is kinda like that too, except it seems that every other street has sidewalks....we were on the list at one point too. it stinks being a fatty!
I know! I grew up in OKC and we never had sidewalks...crazy! I always walked to school in the street. hope you enjoy OKC. :)
Post a Comment