Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Makin' baby's...food

These past few months, I've found myself going to the store sometimes 3 times a week buying baby food for Dean. She was going through those jars of food like a ravaging beast.

I noticed last week that the brand I usually buy (the cheapest, might I add) went up a whopping 4 cents! I know that doesn't sound like a whole lot but when you are going through at least 6 jars a day, it adds up! I sat down and calculated how much I was spending on her food alone and I was flabbergasted!

I'm always looking for ways to trim our budget and by making her food, I figured I will cut out a fourth of our grocery bill!

I don't know why but I never attempted to make her food. I guess I thought it would be hard or it would take too much time. Now after being almost forced to, I've officially delved into the world of making baby food. Surprise! Its not that scary after all! Plus, it's fresh and you can control all of the ingredients that go into your baby's mouth. It really is a no-brainer.

So I write this for two reasons: a) moms! Make your baby food! You will save a ton and it's way easy! And b) if you have any favorite recipes, I'd love to give them a try!

And just because, here's my ravaging beast:




Playing while momma and nana shopped:










Helping Nana with dishes:




Yes, that's one big booboo on her head. Don't ask. Let's just say some rolling was involved. :(




Family pic...a rarity:




Hope everyone has a great day!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

9 comments:

Kim said...

Bonnie,
I have some really great recipes (passed onto me from friends) One is for healthy blueberry/banana pancakes. I make two batches and then just grab one out of the freezer each day, so easy!!
THe other is for healthy chicken nuggets. THey have carrot, apple, onion, basil and chicken. It sounds gross but the kids love them. LEt me know if you want either of these recipes.

Jill said...

I made all of my daughter's food and was surprised at just how easy it is. Here's a great website, too:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Allison said...

Here's another great resource that I like: http://onceamonthmom.com/menus/baby-food/

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I am so impressed with you and other mommas making baby food -- and yay for saving money!

Jennifer said...

Yessssss a family photo!!

By the way, nice muscle definition on your legs!

danielle said...

i agree with both websites recommended above...onceamonthmom is stinkin awesome for sure! and I am on the verge of making our own babyfood but haven't yet because we are still only eating solids like once a day but with the wholesomebabyfood site it makes things super easy!

Anonymous said...

The Baby Bullet is fabulous! Just like the Magic Bullet (cheesy, I know) but is definitely worth the savings! http://www.babybullet.com/

John, Emily, Noah, and Luke Wohlgemuth said...

I made Noah's baby food and it opened up new vegetables for John and I to eat too!

Jessica said...

I made all of Kennedie's baby food. She had a hard time with baby food in general- jarred & homemade. My doctor recommended just throwing whatever we were eating into the blender. Kennedie loved it. I think she enjoyed the varied flavor. Don't be shy about blending up what your eating for Dean.

P.S. I LOVE her sweet little bow in the family picture!