Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Monday, April 04, 2011

Calling all mommas! Need some advice!!!

Ok I get that this is a little personal but I'm desperate for some advice! I get the best ideas/tips from my little community of momma bloggers so don't fail me now ladies! Ha!

I need some advice on ways to increase my milk supply. I desperately am trying any and everything to increase it and nothing seems to be working. I've drank tons of water, pumped after each feeding session, tried to be relaxed, etc...nothing seems to be working. I've called lactation consultants and getting them to call me back has been a job in itself too! I am so frustrated and constantly worried to the point that it's wearing me out.

I'm afraid that if it doesn't increase soon, I'll have to start supplementing with formula...which I know isn't that big of a deal but I just want to know that I truly tried everything.

Please help!!!

On a lighter note, homegirl in her swimmy suit :) precious.




Hope you have a wonderful Monday!!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

11 comments:

North Carolina McQuhae's said...

I stumbled across your blog a couple months before you had your precious baby and I've enjoyed following Dean ever since!! I had the same problem... There is a herbal supplement you can take called Fenugreek! Side note after you take it for awhile it starts to make your natural perspiration smell like maple syrup!! NO Lie! It worked for me but the smell got to me so I had to stop!! Hope that works! love your blog

Allison said...

I second fenugreek! I used it when I went back to work after I had my son and plan to use it again! You can get it at any health food store. Feel free to email if you have any questions! Allison Kneib

Anonymous said...

Yep, definitely fenugreek. Or you can use Mother's Milk tea. Tastes kind of like black licorice, so add lots of milk and/or honey. Don't feel bad if you have to supplement with formula; my baby is just now 4.5 months and he self-weaned himself by 4 months. He just wasn't interested anymore, and I couldn't keep him full!

Melody Forest McKee said...

Definitely Fenugreek!

Bonniebeewester said...

Fenugreek it is!! Thanks SO much everyone!!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Can't recommend anything as I know nada ... but I had to comment that Dean is just too cute!!!

Jamie Thompson said...

Hey Bonnie! I've been having the same problem and actually just tried to ween Finn but he isn't having it (or a bottle anymore for that matter). My pediatrician assured me that he was getting what he needs from me and to quit worrying about it. I just feed him until hes done, which isn't long, and then I don't worry about it. I know that is so frustrating though, good luck!

Briana said...

I thought I didn't have very much of a supply either, but my daughter's doctor told me, if she is gaining weight, you have plenty. You may think you don't, but as long as she is gaining and having wet diapers, you are producing exactly enough. Now, 14 months later, I am still nursing in the evenings! I beat myself up about this in the beginning, because I couldn't ever pump very much. Her pedi assured me that babies can suck way harder than any pump!!!

John, Emily, Noah, and Luke Wohlgemuth said...

I will ask my lactation consultant. She goes to my church and I call her ALL the time. She would be more than willing to call you for free. She actually used to work at our hospital for free but now gets paid. She had 10 kids of her own. I will talk to her and get back with you.

Amy said...

Take fenugreek. And as long as sweet Deanis still gaining weight, don't stress about it!

Jessica said...

Hi Bonnie! I was able to nurse CeCe for 13 months without supplementing but I was at home with her. Now, with Vivienne, I had to start supplementing at about 4 months (about 30-50%). I just wasn't able to keep up the supply since I was mostly pumping. She's now 6 months and I still nurse in the morning, pump twice at work, and nurse in the evenings. I definitely feel your pain because it was more stressful to me to think about putting either of them on formula than it was to continue breastfeeding (and we all know that is a full time job in itself). But I finally gave in since I'm not able to be home with Vivi during the day. All that said, here are the options I was told would help with increasing supply. Along with staying hydrated, take prenatal vitamins (again, if you stopped). Like everyone said, take fenugreek. I take 2 capsules a day. I've heard/read to take more than that but that's all I'm doing for now. So ask around about that. Also, try milk thistle and alfalfa, both available at vitamin/supplement shop. And nursing on demand will probably help. I agree, if she continues to gain weight, don't worry so much, because worrying could cause stress which could affect it as well. If she does begin to lose weight, you might have to nurse/pump every 2-3 hrs, even during the night to build your supply back up. Sorry for the long post. Congrats to you for sticking with it. Keep up the great work! You're doing an awesome thing :)