
When I came home after work yesterday, I let the dogs in from the backyard as usual. I noticed immediately that Sammy was breathing abnormally hard. It was a deep, heavy heaving noise that she was making…like she just ran 10 miles full sprint. She kept flopping on the ground like a fish out of water trying anyway possible to get cool, all the while slobbering profusely.
I immediately took her up to the ER Vet, but not without being stuck in traffic, locking my keys in the house, chasing down Zena who ran out the door, etc etc. When I finally arrived, they immediately whisked her away and put her in an ice bath. They said she was running a 106.8 temp (normal is 100-102) and that if it went any higher, she could have brain or organ damage. They kept her over night to monitor her and run tests.
Needless to say, she was not the only one who had a rough night. We left the ER not knowing if she would make it. I kept sobbing to Chaz that I “didn’t get to say goodbye!” It was horrible.
We were those parents who called every hour on the hour. They finally got her fever down but she was still panting at 11:30pm. At least 7 hours of panting wore her little body out!
Luckily, all tests came back fine…no damage had been done. The Dr. ruled that (obviously) she suffered from a heat stroke. He did say that she is to stay inside for the rest of the summer as she is now more susceptible to heat after this episode. Bless her tiny little Boston Terrier heart!
We picked her up at 6:30am this morning. She’s resting comfortably…in our bed…with a fan on. :)
We still don’t know how it happened. We think she was sunbathing (she takes after her mother) and fell asleep. When she woke up, she had over heated. I’m just glad I got her to the ER in time. No telling what would have happened if we had waited…let’s not go there.
Sammy’s friends, Jackson & Bones (Tina & Jose’s children) sent her this picture. It sure made her day!

Thanks Jackson & Bones!!!
4 comments:
We love you Sammy!
Nana & Pa
I am so glad your pup is okay! A friend of mine just lost their dog two days ago in Houston due to a heat stroke :(
I'm so glad your baby is okay! We've had more than our share of incidents with Gunther! He ate a battery one time! anyway, it's always scary when you don't what's going on..and they can't tell you..their dogs! :)
poor sammy...glad she is feeling better!
our calender is pretty much wide open next weekend! let me know when you want to get together!
Post a Comment