Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Doing my little part...

Not a big fan of Oprah BUT I can say she had a pretty thought-provoking show this past week. The episode was on conserving and she asked families to do without and waste as little as possible for one week. Limited tv, heating/ac, switching paper cups, napkins, plates for dishes, taking shorter showers, etc. Chaz and I are pretty good at keeping lights off, recycling, and have switched to using only cold water when doing laundry, etc. But, when it comes to my work, that's a different story. Oprah said at her office, Harpo Studios, they spend over $850 A WEEK on paper cups alone...that's over $41,000 a year, just on cups!

That got me refelecting on my conservation (or lack there of) at work. I've been known to have 4 styrofoam cups on my desk at once. Ya know, one for coffee, the next for water, and the other 2 filled with water when I was too lazy to use the same cup. Just because I could. Ridiculous! So, on Friday, I brought my own coffee mug and drinking glass to work. Hopefully I can rid our landfills of a few of my non-biodegradable cups! And hey, I might even save our office a few bucks along the way!

Moving on, I can't believe the race is THIS SUNDAY!!! I'm only going to do MAYBE one more short run this week but I'm going to just try and take it easy. Everything I've read says one of the most common mistakes people make in preparing for a marathon is trying to cram in long runs right before the race. Not a good idea! I want my legs and knee to be 100% so I think I'm just going to stick to some weight training and a few miles here or there. I also just got back from the store to load up on some healthy carbs. I stocked our cabinets full of bananas (I just sang that Gwen Stefanie song to spell that), whole grain pastas and bagels, etc. I am beyond terrified of getting those muscle cramp thingies and I hear this helps to prevent those. Only 6 more days!

One last bit of news, I just wanted to ask everyone if you have a chance to please say a little prayer for Chaz's grandmother (Kathy's mom). She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a little over a week ago and is having a double mastectomy on Tuesday. As you can imagine, we're all pretty shocked but we're putting our full trust in the Lord that all of the cancer will be removed. I would greatly appreciate it!

Hope you all have a great week!

6 comments:

*Courtney* said...

hey, glad to hear that using dishes actually helps!

sorry about chaz's grandmother...we'll be praying that everything goes well.

Allison said...

i definitely could stand to be more conservative when it comes to using paper towels! we go through about 2 rolls a week!

i'll be thinking about you this weekend for your big race...good luck :), and will definitely be praying for chaz's grandmother!

Ann Hastings said...

I saw that Oprah too- it was really good and made me look at what I am doing as well!
Good luck in your race- you'll do great!
We'll be praying for Chaz's grandmother- thanks for sharing.

Collin and Christy said...

I have had a coffee mug at my desk, but sometimes since I walk in next to the coffee, and my mug is in another office...I would just grab a styrofoam one, but you have motivated me to not do that! I haven't done that since! Plus it's good, I get in some extra steps walking past it to my office, and then back! :)

Leslie said...

Great Oprah episode, I agree with ya!

Emily said...

They actually are piloting a program at my office getting rid of the styrofoam cups in the breakroom and replacing them with lots and lots of mugs. They're doing it on one floor to see how it goes and then expanding from there....and the really cool part? They're doing it because so many employees requested it! It would be even cooler if I was one of those employees, but hey, I'll take what I can get. :)

Good luck in the race and I'll be praying for Chaz's grandmother...