Friday, my mom, sister-in-law Nance, her Boston Terrier Colonel Crumpet, and Nance’s mother Alison, all came up for a short visit. It was so nice! I cooked dinner Friday night and Saturday and had the privilege of showing them around the great city of Oklahoma City. Ha! Here are a few pictures of the places we went:
We went to the State Capitol:

It was windy! Nance, Mom, & Me on the Capitol Steps:

At the Oklahoma City Memorial:

I love this message written by a firefighter at the Memorial:

It was Zena and Cousin Colonel’s first time to meet. They loved each other!

Sammy & Colonel are old buddies:

I had such a nice time visiting with my family and getting to explore the place that I live. I never take the time to be a “tourist in my own city” – as my mom likes to say.
In other news, Chaz left yesterday at 4pm to go to Destin, Florida for a business trip. He connected in Memphis and called me when he got there at around 8pm. He called to tell me his flight to Florida was cancelled and asked if I could drive to Tulsa to pick him up; he’d be arriving in a hour and a half. So yeah, at a moments notice, I packed the girls up (Sammy & Zena) and we headed off in the night to pick up Daddy and hour and a half away. When all was said and done, we got back after midnight last night, without Chaz’s luggage, and a failed attempt to get to Florida. Word of advise: NEVER FLY NORTHWEST AIRLINES. Terrible. Luckily, Chaz called today and they found his luggage. It had ended up in Florida without him. Idiots.
In other news, I started training for a half marathon. Yes, that’s right, I’m gonna do it. I’ve been preparing myself for awhile to do just 6 miles but I got this urge to set the bar a little higher…13.1 miles higher. I’m on a running schedule and things are going smoothly so far. My knees have been giving me a little trouble but I’m hoping they will get used to the longer distance and not bother me so much. The race is April 27th and I have ample time to prepare which is nice so I won’t try and kill myself. Just work my way up slowly. It’s the annual Oklahoma City Marathon (it’s what I did last year, but I only ran 3 miles.) I remember running in it last year and wanting to be those marathon runners. I thought back then, “Oh, I’ll never be able to run 13 miles.” But why not? Why do that to myself, ya know? Why put limits on myself? I think it gave me more motivation to do it just because I had doubts. Anyway, enough rambling. Going to the bombing site this weekend just reinforced that I want to be a part of this great event. If you’re interested, go to this website www.okcmarathon.com and sign up. My cousins, aunt and extended family are running. It’s gonna be awesome!
Sorry for the long post. Hope you have a great day!
6 comments:
Hey. I'm running the 1/2 too.. It's great fun.
Oh I hope it works out better for you than for me!! My ankles and knees never got used to it and it was just wayyy too painful. Then I discovered that I hate running. :) But I'm sure yours will turn out much better and I can't wait to see the picture of you crossing the finish line!
I think it was a little bit of shoes. Go to one of those stores that watches you run and then gets shoes that fit your style. I've pretty much quit running, but I have a personal trainer now and he had me run around the gym one day randomly and asked if I ever had pain when I ran. I said yes and he told me that I run very heel heavy which causes knee pain and shin splints. I'm sure there are ways to fix it....I just don't think I care enough to want to. :)
WOW! I'm so impressed! I am just now working my way up to three miles so 13 sounds CRAZY! But the best of luck! I know it will feel soooo great when you finish!! What an accomplishment!!
~Christy
I am with you on the OKC memorial it so touching, I can't imagine what Ground Zero must be like. My SIL who lives in Edmond took us there a couple of years ago and some of the sights brought tears to my eyes!! Kuddos to you for running the Marathon...I know you will be glad you did. Hope ya'll are doing well. Jana
way to go bonnie! i bet you'll be able to run all 13! :)
Post a Comment