Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gobble, gobble!!!

Ahhh, the holidays have finally arrived. Yeah! I know this because orange and yellow leaves are piling up in my yard, everyone is already on vacation, and the mall parking lots are packed. I’m excited because we get to spend Thanksgiving with my family this year. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had Thanksgiving in Texas. Last year was in OKC, the year before that, we were in Vienna (imagine that, they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Austria!) and the year before that, I believe I was in OKC again. Needless to say, this year will be nice to help my mom cook. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. I am in charge of a potato casserole and the infamous green bean casserole. Surely I can’t mess that up, right?

I scrounged up a few pictures from our Thanksgiving in Vienna. I always like to think back to what we were doing this time 2 years ago. (Can’t believe it’s been that long!) That day was a sad one. We were across the ocean from my family and were experiencing a homesickness like no other. We hadn’t seen our family in 3 months. We also had to work and go to school on Thanksgiving Day. Ugggh! I tried to make the most of it by cooking Chaz’s favorite things. Anything he requested and only if I could find the ingredients at the local SPAAR, I made (as you can see from the pictures below). It’s funny because what was once one of the saddest days for Chaz and I has now turned into one of the fondest memories between the two of us. I never knew homesickness had a “look”. Now when I look back at these pictures, you can definitely tell we have the homesick “look.”



Pretty sweet kitchen, huh? It's so "European":



Ahhh those were the days. I had to cook one thing at a time in that oven. It was tiny. Any you could only use 1 burner out of the 4. If you used the burner and the oven at the same time, all of the power on the 5th floor would go out. Hahaha-such GREAT memories!

Moving on, this past weekend, Chazzie and I had a blast buying Christmas for our “project”. We have adopted a family of four and spent all night Friday, all day Saturday, and all Sunday night shopping for them. It was so cute watching Chaz get excited about coats, clothes, and toys for the two little girls. He analyzed each and every bike to make sure we got the perfect one. We finally found a cute pink one with a basket and streamers. Now days, you have to buy a helmet, knee and elbow pads. This is something I’m not accustomed to. I used to just hop on my bike and go…no caution taken. I also realized how out of touch I am with children and what they like. I mean, what’s the difference between Mylie Cyrus and Hannah Montana? And man oh man do I wish I were the creator of that High School Musical. Holy Manoly was it everywhere!

This time of the year always makes me wonder why I have been blessed so much when there are so many people with so little. I’m so grateful. I’m so thankful for my wonderful husband, supportive and loving family, my two kids Sammy & Zena, a warm home, and clothes on my back. I am such a blessed, blessed person :)

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!!!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Nicely put! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!