This isn’t meant to scare anyone but just to make you aware. Most of you probably already know this but did you know that you can look up sex offenders in your zip code? I have been meaning to research this since we moved in but kept forgetting to do so. What reminded me was a news article on Jessica Lunsford who was kidnapped, sexually molested, and horrifically killed at the age of 9 down in Florida. Thankfully, her murdered, John Couey, was sentenced to death just a few short days ago, thus the news article that reminded me.
I say all this to encourage you to Google your local sex offender registry. It’s really simple and every city has one. If I’m not mistaken, it’s required by law for anyone convicted of a sex crime to register with the city. This means that when you input your zip code on the website, it will pull up every sex offender with a picture, description (tattoos, scars, nicknames, etc) and a listing of what they were convicted of. Some have had multiple convictions. How are they not locked up? Oklahoma jails cannot be that overcrowded…
Anyway, I was shocked to learn there is a man convicted of sexually abusing a child living just a block over from us where we walk every night! This man looks so normal. He’s young (maybe 30) and was dressed in a suit. So scary. I would never suspect this man of doing such and awful thing. Chaz and I went by the house to see if we could see him. From now on, I will definitely be on a look out for this creep. He lives right behind an elementary school and across the street from a high school. What’s wrong with this picture?
Again, this is not meant to scare you (or not make you want to visit Oklahoma!!) I guarantee you probably have a few living very close to you, if not down the street. Just be aware. It never hurts to equip yourself with issues that involve your (or your child’s) safety.
I sound like a Crime Stopper’s bulletin…
1 comment:
I'm never leaving my house again!
Post a Comment