Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Born in the USA...I was, born in the USA...

Well, I have officially made it back home to the good ole US of A! I was only gone a total of 6 days and boy did I miss it! I forget how much I love this country when I’m away from it. One of my favorite parts of returning back home is when the border patrol agent says “Welcome Back”. Its such a wonderful feeling and I get all patriotic. I’m so blessed to live in this beautiful country, no matter what anyone says!

Anyway, I haven’t uploaded any photos yet because I literally have not stopped since I got home late Tuesday night. Trying to catch up with work, house stuff, running errands that should have been ran last week has made for a crazy past few days. I can see now why lots of people need a vacation from their vacation. Bottom line is, I had a blast and seeing my precious friend, Val, was icing on the cake!

I was really surprised at how much I did and saw and still had plenty of time to relax and just hang out with Val. I arrived Friday afternoon in Amsterdam, a little late due to the Hurricane/Tropical storm that came through south Texas. I rented a bike and was VERY apprehensive at first. Weaving in and out of traffic, trying not to hit tourists or kill myself wasn’t really my cup of tea. Luckily, Val took me on the back streets to start so I could get used to riding in a crazy city. Later, Val had a wonderful evening planned for me with yummy food and some of her friends she has made there. We talked and talked for hours on end and it was so fun sharing similar stores with girls my age from Canada and the UK. Pretty neat!

Saturday, I went to the Van Gogh museum and to see the paintings in person that I grew up learning about was phenomenal! I really enjoyed that. Then we went to a place called “Supper Club” later that served a 5-course meal….in a bed! It was very “Sex & the City” and I loved it. They played music and had entertainment. It was a really neat and unique experience. I loved watching so many different people dance and have a good time.

Sunday was, I think, my favorite day. Floris, Val’s husband, and Val rented a small boat and took me through the canals of Amsterdam. It was such a relaxing way to see the city. At one point, we went and got pizza at a “drive thru” window on our boat! It was specially made for just boats! Crazy! I loved it! Later on, we went shopping and of course, I’m always down for a little retail therapy.

Monday was our relaxing day. We went to the touristy shops and I got a bunch of souvenirs for everyone back home. It rained so it was kinda just a lazy day. We order sushi that night and just basically chilled for the rest of the night.

Tuesday morning, I got up bright and early and went to the Anne Frank House. It’s the house that she hid in during the war from the Nazi’s. So sad. I read the Diary of Anne Frank in JR high and to actually be in the place that she once stood was a sobering experience. Especially since they were captured one month before the liberation. To think that only happened about 60 years ago is just astonishing. If you ever get the chance to visit Amsterdam, this is a MUST see.

Anyway, like I said, I’ll post pics as soon as I get them up. Chaz and I are going to Texas for a church youth group reunion on Friday/Saturday. We won’t get in until late because I’m having to work until 5pm. Luckily, the festivities continue on through Saturday. I can’t wait to finally see everyone. I thoroughly enjoy getting to see all my old peeps. It reminds me of so many good, no GREAT, times I had in high school. Almost every memory involves some sort of funny scenario or me yelling at someone to be quiet bc I was trying to sleep. Classic. It’s so nice that we can all come together and just pick up where we left off. Those are signs of true friends. I’ve already got my old photo albums out to bring. I’m such a nerd!

Sorry for the long post. Just a lot going on. I could probably go on for another 10 pages but I’ll spare you. Happy Thursday! 

3 comments:

Emily said...

Glad you're back! Its always so exciting to leave...and so much more exciting to come back home. Amsterdam is definitely on my list of must-visit places and I'm jealous you got to go! :)

Allison said...

sounds like you had a blast!! looking forward to seeing you tonight!!

Chandy said...

Hey girl.... I've missed ya. I'm so jealous of your trip to Amsterdam. How fun! We are long overdue for a girls night. Love ya...and I guess I need to meet Zena soon.