Chaz, Bonnie, & Dean!!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Blizzard...and not the Dairy Queen kind...

So, as many of you heard, Oklahoma had a blizzard. Yes, a blizzard. Usually, I would roll my eyes at the term “blizzard” because our weathermen tend to over exaggerate. Well, they weren’t over exaggerating this time because we were caught in it on Christmas Eve. Oh my gosh, I have NEVER been so scared in my life.

We were about 45 miles outside of OKC when the storm hit. We were being blown all over the road and couldn’t see 5 feet in front of our car. Stranded cars littered I35 and soon, I was begging Chaz to pull over. Well, we did and to our dismay, we were in the middle of nowhere with a quarter tank of gas, no open gas station in sight, and snow piling up every second we waited. I truly have never felt so helpless in all my life. We didn’t know what to do. (Here’s a pic of where we were stranded.)


After an hour of seriously not knowing what to do, Chaz finally said we had to move or we would be stranded. The thought of getting back out on the road made me sick to my stomach but our only other alternative was to spend the night in our car that didn’t have enough gas to last us through the night. We found a back road that was pure ice & snow that led us to the next exit which luckily, was Main Street in Norman, OK.

We tried to make it to a friend of Chaz’s house that was only 3 miles away but the roads were so bad that it took us almost an hour to go .2 miles. It was horrible. At one point, we got stuck out in the middle of an intersection where we were almost side-swiped about 5 different times. I still, to this day, have no clue how we weren’t hurt. I told Chaz, God was definitely watching over us.

So, after all of that and sliding backwards into a snow drift and getting stuck for about an hour, the site of a Super 8 Motel looked like the Ritz Carlton to us. Needless to say, we were thrilled when we got one of the last rooms available…even if it was a smoking room, we could have cared less.

This pic sums up my day:


Even played ping pong on Christmas Eve! That's a first for me...ha!






We even had a balcony with a view of the indoor pool! Bow chica bow wow.


Our dogs watching kids playing in the pool on Christmas morning. Another first.


Sammy, on the floor of a Super 8 Motel Christmas morning. Not too happy:


Luckily, the next day, we went staright to Chaz's grandma's that lives only about 10 miles away. I have never been so grateful for how our situation worked out considereing all of the horror stories we heard.

Pregnancy update: I'm feeling pretty good however I'm extremely tired! I didn't do much today and I'm completely wiped out. No morning sickness yet but the thought of food makes me queasy. I definitely had my first gagging experience yesterday when I heated up some leftover turkey for Chaz. Yuck! The smell really got to me. Bleh!! Other than that, things are great!! More updates to come!!

No comments: